An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced finance professional to join a developing service to schools. The role is varied, requires excellent interpersonal skills and travelling to schools.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for delivering traded services to schools, which can include the following subject to the schools supported:
Providing an accounting and financial management service for schools, including
• an accounting service including closure of accounts
• assistance in the budget preparation, budget forecasts, financial plans
• regular payroll and budget monitoring, financial control and advice service
This role is term time only and will require regular travel to Schools in and around London Borough of Barnet
What you’ll be doing:
- Carry out the requirements of the service specification to maintained schools for the Accountancy Service, and other financial services purchased by schools.
- Provide advice and guidance on financial matters such as budget costing, budgetary control, year-end budget forecasts, financial systems and documentation, Contract Standing Orders for Schools, accounting requirements, HMRC VAT regulations, cash-flow monitoring.
- Attend adhoc daytime and evening meetings with Governors to give financial advice, present monitoring reports and to deal with financial issues.
- To provide a “School Business Manager” service to schools covering some of the following areas –
2. Finance/accountancy Plus
3. HR Administration
4. Risk management/Health & safety
5. Procurement and contract management,
- To provide a “Financial Service” to an Academy in accordance with the Service Agreement and the requirements of the DfE/EFA and legislation and regulations relevant to the academy Trust as a company and charity.
- Make visits to schools to provide support on topics such as implementation of audit reports, use of the accounting package, preparation of year end returns, auditing of schools unofficial funds.
What we’re looking for:
- An excellent communicator with staff and customers; able to explain financial matters to non-financial staff
- A competent user of accounting packages and Microsoft Office
- AAT or part/full qualified accountant
- Able to prioritise tasks and work under time limits to deliver a service specification
- A car owner/driverWilling to work in a number of different locations
- Experience of schools finance and business management
- A full accounting qualification (e.g. CIPFA or other CCAB or CIMA)
- Certificate in School Business Management
- Able to influence Headteachers re solutions to budget or financial control issues
- Able to supervise and motivate staff.
About Capita Public Services
Capita Local Public Services delivers a wide range of specialist services to local authorities, schools, academies and other public sector organisations, including IT and digital transformation, customer management, revenues, benefits, finance, property development and regulatory services, education support and back office processing.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- Term time only role allowing flexibility around school holidays
- Genuine scope for career development and progression
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
What we hope you’ll do next:
Looking to discover more? Let your line manager know, then choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application and send us your CV.
To view our Covid-19 and process adjustments information, please visit the Capita Careers site. To find out more information and apply please use the link below:
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. During the application process, you’ll be asked to share your personal characteristics and data with us. This helps us understand our audience so we can make sure we are doing everything we can to attract a diverse range of people and ensure our recruitment processes are fair and inclusive.